There is continued controversy on Organic food and its benefits. Those of us who grow our own food certainly know the difference in a home grown tomato and one brought from the store. We don't have doubts but for those of you who do, here is a study that ought to interest you.
A meta-analysis was carried out on 343 peer-reviewed publications regarding the differences between organic and non-organic crops and crop based foods by a group of researchers listed at the end of this blog.
- Organic crops and foods are higher in antioxidants.
- Pesticide residues were 4 times higher in conventional grown crops
- Conventional raised crops contained more Cadmium, a toxic metal and other heavy metals. These heavy metals end up in the food via conventional kinds of farming methods.
Research was carried out by the group below:
- 1School of Agriculture, Food and Rural Development, Newcastle University,Nafferton Farm, Stocksfield,Northumberland,NE43 7XD,UK.
- 2Human Nutrition Research Centre, School of Agriculture, Food and Rural Development, Newcastle University,Agriculture Building, Kings Road,Newcastle upon TyneNE1 7RU,UK.
- 3School of Biology, Newcastle University,Ridley Building,Newcastle upon TyneNE1 7RU,UK.
- 4Center for Sustaining Agriculture and Natural Resources, Washington State University,Pullman,WA,USA.
- 5Department of Agricultural Sciences,School of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine, University of Bologna,Viale Fanin 42,40127Bologna,Italy.
- 6Department of Pesticide Control and Phytopharmacy,Benaki Phytopathological Institute,GR 14561 Kifissia,Athens,Greece.
- 7Department of Organic Farming and Food Technology,Technological Educational Institute of Ionian Islands,Iosif Momferatou & Ilia Miniati PC28100,Argostoli, Cephalonia,Greece.
- 8Faculty of Human Nutrition and Consumer Sciences, Warsaw University of Life Sciences,Nowoursynowska 159c,02-776Warsaw,Poland.
- 9Department of Animal Physiology,Faculty of Biology, University of Warsaw,Miecznikowa 1,02-096Warsaw,Poland.
- 10Biotechnology and Food Research, MTT Agrifood Research Finland,FI-31600Jokioinen,Finland.
- 11Department of Gene Bank,Crop Research Institute (CRI),Drnovská 507/73, 161 06 Praha 6 -Ruzyně,Czech Republic.
- 12Research Institute of Organic Agriculture (FiBL),Ackerstrasse 113,CH-5070Frick,Switzerland.
- 13INRA, UR407 Pathologie végétale,67 allée des chênes,F-84143Montfavet Cedex,France.
Statements on this website have not been approved by the AMA or FDA. This information is for your education and you are advised to always seek a medical doctor for problems. You are advised to get permission from your doctor before you add any dietary food supplement to your regimen.
Moringa and Healing Herbs
Organic Moringa bulk, caps, tea, extract, and oil.
Copyright: 2010 through 2020
You are not allowed to copy any part of this article for any reason without permission.